Just about everyone has a vision of his or her ideal life. Maybe you’ve always dreamed of being a successful writer, musician, or corporate executive. But you haven’t made it a reality yet.
Then maybe what you need is a coach. Just like the people who push athletes to greatness in sports, life and wellness coaches push their clients to find success and satisfaction from their job or lifestyle.
What Is a Life Coach?
These professionals provide the drive and guidance their clients need to improve their careers, relationships, and lives. They help clients to:
- Recognize their skills and dreams
- Refocus their life’s goals
- Move past challenges that stand in the way of those goals
What Is a Wellness Coach?
They help their clients find the motivation and tools to get to their physical and emotional health goals. Those goals might include:
- Lose a few pounds
- Eat better
- Quit smoking
- Lower stress
Why Would I Need Help?
There are many reasons. For instance, you might consider looking for one if you:
- Need some guidance on moving forward in your career
- Want to learn how to take advantage of your own strengths and talents
- Don’t know what to do about a major life decision, such as a move or promotion
- Don’t have an acceptable work-life balance
- Have a lot of stress
- Aren’t as healthy as you’d like to be
A coach is also different from a psychotherapist, who is a mental health care professional with training in medicine, psychology, nursing, or social work. If you think that depression, anxiety, or other mental health problems may be getting in the way of realizing your goals, then you may want to talk with a licensed mental health professional before you hire a coach.